Thursday, October 8, 2009

We all scream

Some people love ice cream. Some people love ice cream to distraction and will trade you the most painstakingly prepared, beautifully plated dessert you can imagine for a spoon and a pint of Ben and Jerry's. I know and respect some of these very characters, but I just don't get it. Sure, I like ice cream....but to be honest I am mostly in it for the toppings. Maybe my early years of employment serving the stuff resulted in ambivalence to frozen treats as well as lopsided upper arm strength. Whatever the reason, I might be the only person alive who enjoys making ice cream more than eating it. But my mind may be changing, and all because I went to Ohio.
Jeni's Ice Cream is the most wonderfully balanced, perfectly textured ice cream I have ever tried. Ever since tasting it (compliments of good friends with excellent taste!) I have resolved to re-create some of the innovative flavors. First up- salted caramel.
David Lebovitz's much beloved recipe for Salted Butter Caramel ice cream seemed like a good starting point. I enjoyed the flavor and my roommate proclaims that this ice cream tastes exactly like an English toffee. This time around I followed the recipe to the letter, but I would like to kick up the salt and play around a bit with the texture next time. For now, I will link you to the recipe on David Lebovitz's website. He has very thorough instructions and helpful photos for making the dry caramel. My only addition is to suggest using a light colored saucepan to make this part of the recipe in order to moniter the color of your caramel as it cooks.

Salted Butter Caramel Ice Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment