Monday, October 5, 2009

For a Chilly Sunday


I love soup. Just as soon as the air gets that turning-to-fall smell I switch my default dinner from salad to soup, and I don't go back until the tulips come up. Maybe it has something to do with my grandfather. He is a consummate lover of soup in all its forms and his birthday parties are proof of his devotion. Grandpa's birthday falls in late November and we celebrate not with cake or pie or dinner out, but with a family soup potluck. The apple not having fallen far from the tree, I enjoy these soup parties nearly as much as the birthday man himself.

We had a chilly day here yesterday and I was itching to try this soup which I had heard about but never tasted. I am not so much a cook as a baker, but one of my goals here is to try to expand my savory skills. So I made the soup myself, and I am very glad I did! This one is a keeper. It is spicy and velvety and satisfying, perfect for a fall afternoon with football or a good book or anything in between.


Peanut Soup

2 T. vegetable oil (I used canola)

1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped

1 med. onion, chopped

2 small carrots, chopped

1 t. garlic, minced

1 T. ginger, minced

1 serrano pepper, diced

1 yellow bell pepper, diced

5 c. chicken or vegetable stock

1/3 c. tomato paste

1/2- 3/4 c. peanut butter


In a large stock pot, heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, and carrots and saute over medium heat until lightly browned. Add sweet potato, ginger, and garlic and continue to saute 15 minutes or until carrots and sweet potatoes are soft. Add stock and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Add peanut butter, salt and pepper to taste. Puree until it reached your desired smoothness. Heat through and serve.


Note: Make sure you are using good stock that you like. I don't take the time to make my own stock so I have ruined soup that way on more than one occasion. I like to learn the hard way.

No comments:

Post a Comment