Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fell into Fall


It seems like cooler days have just shown up on the doorstep without warning. I can't believe I was wearing a cotton sundress and strappy sandals just weeks ago. Fall is my favorite season and I don't know why it has taken me by surprise this year, but I am happy to see pumpkins and apples and smell woodsmoke in the air. (Yes, even in a city! Who knew?) The only trouble with fall is that it makes me want to live in the kitchen, stirring good smelling things and getting warm by the stove. I love the scent of this rice pudding simmering away, and if you happen to have a few apples that aren't the best for eating out of hand, you can make this quick 'verrine.' Toss the sliced apples in a pan with some butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon and saute until the apples become soft and nearly transparent. Layer warm apples with this chilled rice pudding to make someone smile.


Rice Pudding

3/4 c. water

1/2 c. rice

pinch salt

3 c. milk (whole is the nicest, but any kind will work just fine)

1/2 c. sugar

1 cinnamon stick

3 cardamom pods

2 strips lemon zest, a few inches long

1 t. vanilla


Bring water, salt, and rice to a boil in a medium pot. Lower heat and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed. Add milk, cinnamon stick, cardamom, and zest. Simmer, uncovered, until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed to your liking. More milk can be added if you prefer a looser rice pudding. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla, and chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment