Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Tuesdays with Dorie: White Loaves


Hello, again! (If anyone is still out there...) I've returned to my little corner of the internet to record what I'm sure will be an exciting journey. Over the past four years, a group of wonderful bloggers baked their way through Dorie Greenspan's "Baking From My Home To Yours." Now the Tuesdays with Dorie crew are taking on another project: "Baking With Julia" by Dorie Greenspan and Julia Child, and I am thrilled to be signed on to bake along with them!
The first recipe for White Loaves is one I am sure I will be returning to frequently. Five ingredients, two rises, and less than 45 minutes active time results in two tall, fine grained loaves of bread. It is also a very straightforward and forgiving recipe- I cruised through it while running errands and house cleaning, and all went exactly as planned. This bread has been a hit in my house and eaten plain, buttered, toasted, slathered with jam, peanut butter, and honey, grilled with cheese, and finally, ground into homemade bread crumbs for topping macaroni and cheese.

Thanks to Laurie at slush and Jules at Someone's in the Kitchen for hosting! The recipe can be found on their blogs or on pages 81-82 of "Baking With Julia."

6 comments:

  1. Nice job on the loaves. They look lovely. And sounds like there was absolutely nothing wasted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like everyone made grilled cheese with it. Wish I had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! What a pleasant surprise to come across in my google reader this afternoon! I can attest to your bread's simple deliciousness. Wonderful both plain with butter, and also along with melted cheese and soup. I would love your green soup recipe by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely loaves - grilled cheese seemed to be a popular choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bread is lovely and it sound like you found many ways to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete