Sunday, January 24, 2010

Party Pieces


I don't know about you, but I think there is something inherently exciting about hors d'oeurves. Intricate little bites of this and that, perfect to nibble while enjoying a drink and good company, seem more sophisticated in a group than they might be alone. Even pigs in a blanket seem retro-cool on a buffet table at a cocktail party. Preparing appetizers always makes me want to step into heels and tie on a lacy apron. (I realize this is not normal and I have, perhaps, been watching too many episodes of Mad Men. But I knew that when I started vacuuming in pearls.)


This particular hors d'oeurve has served me well at many gatherings. I started with a tried-and-true dough and cut back the sugar while converting the filling from sweet to savory. I enjoy the combination of goat cheese and pesto, but the recipe can easily be adjusted to accommodate other filling combinations. Pancetta and salsa verde also work well here.


Savory Rugelach


12 oz butter, softened

12 oz cream cheese, room temperature

1 T. sugar

1/2 t. salt

3 c. flour

8 oz goat cheese

4 oz pesto

1 egg, beaten


Cream butter, cream cheese, sugar, and salt until well blended. Add flour one cup at a time until just incorporated. Divide dough into four equal parts, wrap, and chill at least one hour.


On floured surface, roll each package of dough into a 10 inch circle. Spread dough with goat cheese and top with an even layer of pesto. Divide into 10 equal wedges. Roll tightly into wedges, starting with wide end of dough. Bend into a crescent shape. Continue with remaining dough and chill rugelach for 20 minutes. Remove to parchment lined cookie sheets and brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 350 degrees 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve.


Note: Rugelach can be frozen, without egg wash, up to 3 weeks . Thaw in refrigerator before baking.

3 comments:

  1. Once again, I can testify to their deliciousness.

    Ommm, nom, nom...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Jilly Pearl! I was listening to Faith Middleton yesterday on NPR and heard about a new cookbook that you might be interested in given your work at the bakery, etc. It's called "the gluten-free almond flour cookbook" and it all sounded delish!

    http://www.elanaspantry.com/cookbook/

    I was thinking of you last night as well when we FINALLY watched Julie and Julia. Love you lots and miss you!

    Nunu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, where are the photos of Kate's pretty party cake?

    ReplyDelete